3.31.2010

Kit:

I can't say how much training with you has benefited everything I have done in the last 10 months. Having done CrossFit on my own for about a year before I came to your gym, I really didn't realize how awesome it would be to workout with all the athletes from KoP. I know you can't pick and choose who walks in the front door, but after working with you, its no wonder they become very dedicated athletes who love showing up in early in the morning, mid day, even staying late at night to be around the box. We work hard and share in the personal battles with the WOD every day, pushing harder and further than we ever could do on our own. It happened this past Monday at the Level 2 class for sure. Atlas Stone "Grace" would not have even been a thought on my mind, let alone ever picking one (an atlas stone) up, unless I'd been exposed to you, Jason, and the creative athletes that come through the box. Honestly, its no coincidence that the athletes you have continue to come back to sweat through another WOD on the black floors of a cold (or humid) box at 6 o'clock in the morning. I think it has something to do with the fiery, energetic climate that you set within the box.
With regards to me personally, CrossFit and the training being conducted at CrossFit KoP has had a tremendous impact on my life, my training methods, my nutrition, and my performance. Being a four year varsity athlete at the U.S. Naval Academy I trained specifically for one sport all the time. In my final years there, I started incorporating CrossFit style workouts in my on court training, and saw tremendous gains in my ability to outlast opponents in long matches and the power to out run most opponents I played...now there were some who's racket skills far outmatched my combination of fitness and skills. Put them in the box, and they wouldn't stand a chance.
In the Marine Corps, CrossFit has helped me tremendously. I consistently score above a 285 (out of 300) on my Physical Fitness Test, a 300 (out of 300) on our Combat Fitness Test, without training specifically for either of them. CrossFit has made carrying packs, weapons, ammo, long hikes, conducting training operations, and all field events much easier for me mentally and physically. Many times I'd think to myself, "There is no way this is harder than being at the box, keep pushing!"
The training and guidance Aimee has given us done in preparation for The Sectional Qualifiers for the CrossFit Games has been amazing. The programming combined with the nutritional encouragement to try (and do) Paleo has stepped up my game tremendously. I look good, I feel good, and I am much stronger than I have ever been in my life.
Finally, thank you for everything you have done, and continue to do with my parents. My dad is much, much healthier, and my Mom finally drank the Koolaid with her first of many sessions with you this past weekend! What you have done with the box is incredible. The coaches you have developed and the work that you and your family have done to get the box to where it is today is unbelievable. Everyone helps create the culture of the box, but you definitely guide it to where it needs to be. Keep leaning on us, pushing us further than we ever thought we could go, and we will lean on you. This is a family. A very freakishly strong family, but a family nonetheless.

Semper Fidelis

No comments: